Jerome Lefkowitz, Chairperson
Sheila S. Cole, Member
PERB Draft Minutes
June 20, 2011
Albany, New York
PRESENT: JEROME LEFKOWITZ, Chairperson
SHEILA S. COLE, Member
Staff: William A. Herbert, Deputy Chair & Counsel
Richard A. Curreri, Director of Conciliation
Sheila Talavera, Secretary to the Board
Listen to AudioCast of Meeting
- BOARD DISCUSSION - Open Meeting
- Minutes of Board Meeting of May 27, 2011 for approval -- Approved
- Director of Conciliation Curreri presented his recommendations to admit certain individuals to PERB's neutral panels. Following the presentation by Director Curreri the individuals listed below were approved by the PERB Board for admission to the neutral panels identified:
- Ronny H. Berlin: Mediation panel
- William F. Hempfling: Public Sector Grievance Arbitration panel
- Michael Lenzner: Mediation panel
- Murry Solomon: Fact-Finding panel
- The Board adopted the following resolution after discussion regarding the appropriate standards to be applied for admission to PERB's private sector arbitration panel -- A candidate for appointment to the private sector grievance arbitration panel must demonstrate satisfactory experience as a labor arbitrator. Applications for appointment to the panel must include the applicant's resume, five recent arbitration awards written by the applicant, and a listing of all awards rendered in the past two years, such listing to include the names of the parties, the nature of the issue(s) involved.
All applicants must be separated from any advocacy role on behalf of labor or management for a minimum period of six (6) months, cannot maintain any pecuniary interest in a firm which continues to have such an advocacy role and cannot maintain any role, function, employment or title that the Board would consider to be in conflict with the role of a neutral.
All applications will be screened by the Director of Conciliation, who will review the applicant's resume and the quality of the submitted arbitration awards applying a standard similar to the one applied with respect to applicants to our public sector panels.
Any additional standards with respect to our private sector grievance panel will be included in written guidelines to be developed by our staff in the future.
- QUASI-JUDICIAL MATTERS (Exempt from Open Meetings Law)
- C-6046 - In the Matter of Civil Service Employees Association, Inc., Local 1000, AFSCME, AFL-CIO, Petitioner & Cold Spring Harbor Central School District, Employer & United Public Service Employees Union, Intervenor/Incumbent.
- U-29126 - In the Matter of Rye Police Association, Charging Party & City of Rye, Respondent.
- U-30851 - In the Matter of Howard S. Cooper, Charging Party & State of New York (State University of New York at Stony Brook) and United University Professions, Respondents.
- U-28836 - In the Matter of Westchester County Department of Public Safety Police Benevolent Association, Inc., Charging Party & County of Westchester, Respondent.